- Age: 32 (2006)
- Scott was looking to transform his body and enhance his quality of life with our personal transformation package since he has not been doing any form of significant exercise for the past year (only walking)
- Originally came to SHAPE in 2005 to rehabilitate his low back (disc herniation in 2003), lose weight and increase his general health and fitness level
- Episodes of low back pain with lifting and sitting
- Social worker
- Very committed to strength and conditioning program, as he wants to see a major change in his body
- Run a half marathon in 1hr and 30 minutes (Completed the Mississauga Marathon May 2006 in 1 hr and 26 minutes!)
- Run the ScotiaBank Marathon in September 2006 and qualify for the Boston Marathon (3hours and 10 minutes)
- Run the Detroit Marathon October 29th 2006 (Officially completed the 42km Detroit run in 3:03:45. Finished 9th in his category (males 30-34) out of 342 runners. Overall he finished 96th out of 3867 marathon runners.)
- High Performance Personal Training twice per week in conjunction with Integrated Therapy and Training complemented by a home program for cardiovascular-running training
- Registered Massage Therapy once per month for recovery and regeneration
- Nutritional education and counseling
When I first came to SHAPE in 2005 I knew I was in the right place.
Sender, Denis and Shawn spoke to me about the importance of an integrated approach to rehabilitating my back injury, losing weight and improving my general fitness.
Having spent the previous nine months in constant and often severe back pain I knew that I couldn't continue with physiotherapy alone and was willing to give anything a try.
During the first six to eight weeks, Shawn worked with me to strengthen my core muscles and stabilize my lower back. By the end of the first month, he had eliminated almost all of the back pain I had been experiencing on a daily basis. In the same amount of time, Denis's nutritional plan and training program allowed me to make major gains in both weight loss and improved physical fitness. The pounds were dropping off and I felt great.
By the end of June, in fact, I felt so good I was able to start running again - an activity that I had abandoned several years prior. By September, I had lost all the extra weight I had gained during my sedentary existence and had made great strides in my overall fitness and running performance. That, month I ran my first ever half-marathon and finished with a respectable time of 1:37.
Although my goals have changed recently, the team at SHAPE has remained an invaluable source of support, guidance and encouragement. In fact, I think Sender was more excited about the last race I ran than I was! His genuine enthusiasm in my progress and pride in my accomplishments is a constant source of motivation for me. As I push myself harder towards attaining my goals, I know that Sender, Denis and the rest of the team at SHAPE are right there behind me pushing just as hard. For me, this is the SHAPE difference - the integration of expertise and knowledge with genuine commitment and caring.
This May - almost one year after I first came to SHAPE - I was able to cut over ten minutes off my previous half marathon time, finishing with fifth in my age category with a time of 1:26. I couldn't have done it without SHAPE. As I prepare for my first marathon with the goal of finishing in under 3:10 - in order to qualify for the Boston Marathon - it gives me a great deal of confidence to know that the SHAPE team is, as always, right there behind me.
Nov. 2006 Update
Thanks again for all your support, encouragement, enthusiasm and hard work keeping my body working properly! I’m really happy with my time – officially 3:03:45. I finished 9th in my category (males 30-34) out of 342 runners. Overall I finished 96th out of 3867 marathon runners. They also give prizes for first-time marathoners in each age category, so I might have actually won something.
Tracking Scott's Progress:
|Weight (Height 5' 9" - 71")||180 lb.||169 lb.||156 lb.|
|Waist||91 cm||85 cm||77 cm|
|Body Mass Index||25||23||22|
|Plank||10 sec.||30 sec.||100+ sec.|
|Squat* (total using dumbbells)||10 lb.||30 lb.||50 lb.|
|Leg Press* (warm-up@50 lb.)||150 lb.||200 lb.||280 lb.|
|Lat Pulldown*||80 lb.||100 lb.||130 lb.|
|Half Marathon||1 hr. 37 min.||----||1 hr. 26 min.|
|Based on 10 rep max & 10 rep warm-up set with 1 min. rest between sets|